Skip to main content

Debana Kote

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography


I've written about this before. I know I have.  But, just like anything in kendo, my understanding of techniques evolves and changes as I gain more experience.  I read something earlier which goes along with this.  Sinclair Sensei talked about painting a line, and every time you come to practice you paint over it and over it, until the faint line starts becoming more solid and more vivid in color.  If you'd like to read it, it's here:

The Red Line

For this post, though, I'm not going to talk much about how to actually perform debana kote.  I'm sure I've done that enough in the past, plus I'm sure anyone reading this will have their own way of doing it, or their own instructions on the intricacies of it that work for them.  If not, I encourage you to talk with your sensei about it!  I believe that debana kote is one of the most effective waza out there, no matter your rank or skill level.  The waza is simple enough to grasp at first, but as you practice, learn, and being to understand it, it takes on new levels of complexity.

Debana Kote is the focus of our dojo for this month, and as we've been going through I've really been thinking about the mental aspects of it.  Where I'm at right now, this is how I understand it: debana waza is the opportunity that is created when your opponent's mental thought becomes physical movement.  For this waza, when your opponent starts his physical movement for his attacks, that's when you should be striking his kote.  You shut them down almost before anything on their end even started.  If we were talking basketball, debana waza would be stuffing the shooter as they started their movement to shoot, but before their feet even left the ground.  I'm sure my opinion will change as I grow, but it works for where I'm at now.  But how do you develop that kind of timing?

Notice I said "timing" and not "speed."  I believe that speed doesn't necessarily come into the question of debana waza, as it's more a question of timing and efficiency, to me.  Speed just gives your technique that extra bonus on top of everything else.  But back to the question: how do you develop that kind of timing?  I've been breaking it down in my head and this is what I've come up with.

To build the correct timing, you must be able to read and anticipate your opponent, and you must be confident in your kote strike.  Both of these take a lot of time on the floor, practicing with real people.  Developing your kote is something that everyone should be doing anyway.  It should be quick and efficient, so that when you do find that opportunity (or create it) you can strike without hesitation.  Back to the first point, though.  When I read and anticipate, I first try and establish a connection with my partner.  I try and move with them, on their timing.  I watch their body and their movement to see what their "tells" are.  You know, the things that someone does when they're about to launch an attack.  Everyone who has done this before knows what I mean.  There's a certain feeling you get sometimes when you just KNOW when someone is going to attack.  That's what I look for, that feeling, that moment.  Once I'm comfortable finding that, I simply anticipate it, judged on things like their posture, their footwork, their breathing, their distance in relation to me, etc.  There are a lot of cues you can look for to make your judgments.  Sometimes I go too early and that's ok.  If I do I try and continue through with a good kote strike and finish well.  Sometimes I'm too late and I get struck myself, and that's ok, too.  No one is perfect at this one hundred percent of the time.  When I do get it right and make a successful attack, though, I try and remember that and build upon it for next time.

Once you have a good grasp on how people move and attack, and can anticipate that moment to apply this technique, you can take that one step further and start using that knowledge and experience to control when that moment happens.  You can actually force them to move when you want to, by the way you act and react to all of their cues.  Sounds easy, but in application it's not.  I'm still terrible at it, but every once in a while I can force that moment on my terms, when I want it to happen.  It's a great feeling.  It's weird to say, but it's also a great feeling when someone does it to me.  It feels so masterful that I can't help but give a little mental head nod to how awesome it was that they did that to me.  A lot of times I'll even try to take a mental note of what they did and how they did it so I can practice it later on.

At this point in my kendo life I've probably performed debana kote tens of thousands of times.  Ninety-nine percent of them have been on the dojo floor, working to improve it.  One percent have actually been done in a tournament setting, or at a shinsa.  I'm still learning, though, and still looking to improve any way I can. There's always something I can tweak in relation to my timing or setup, or my body movement or footwork or sword movement.  But each time I come to class and work on it, I'm painting another line, making that debana kote color as vivid as I can.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the