Skip to main content

Palouse Kendo Club

This Sunday a few of my dojo mates and I traveled to Moscow, ID to visit the Palouse Kendo Club, a relatively new club to the area that was started by my friend Maina.  The club has been active for a little over a year, if memory serves me right, and we'd always talked about having visitors to the club, but we were finally able to put it together and schedule it.  Six of us traveled over, ranging from 3 kyu up to, well, me! 

We pulled up to the dojo about 20 minutes before training was scheduled to start, and after greeting my friend and getting a quick tour, we were suited up and ready to go.  All in all, they had six people that showed up to train with us, and we trained for a good two and a half hours.  We started with warmups and suburi, then moved straight into footwork drills.  I have to make a confession:  I don't particularly like footwork drills.  I don't like running, either, but I do both because I know that they're both good for me and will improve my endurance and my overall kendo.  And we did A LOT of footwork drills to start!  It was good, though, and I noticed that all of their members had really nice footwork and movement during the drills.

After donning our men and kote we moved in striking drills, starting with kirikaeshi and then moving through the various targets and drills including men, kote and do, as well as kote-men.  Most of their members have been training for a year at most, but it was great to see such eagerness and enthusiasm and it pushed me to do my best, as well.  And my friend Maina was surprisingly fast; faster than I remember her being years ago when we fought at Highline.  After striking drills we took a quick break to grab some water and for people to catch their breath.

Jigeiko was up next, and we had a bit of extended time so everyone could get a round with everyone else.  I tried to keep my rounds with their students just hard enough to push, but not to overwhelm, but it seemed that every time I stepped it up a little bit they were all ready to go a little more with me, which was really fulfilling on my end.  Again, they were all eager to learn and to exchange blows with all of us.  When I came to Maina, I don't know if I actually even touched her or not.  Her kendo is very nice and so strong.  I did my best, though, and maybe I got a good attack or two in there, but for the most part it was a battle of pressure and skill with her.  I also had the opportunity to do jigeiko with all of our members that came on the trip, as well, and during those times I tried to exhibit the best kendo that I could, just in case anyone was watching. 

After jigeiko we bowed out and said our parts.  I commended everyone on their spirit and on their footwork, and my sensei and I extended invitations to everyone to come train at our dojo if they ever get a chance.  I hope that this is the beginning of a good friendship between our dojos, and I'm excited to see them all in another year, or two, or three, and see what kind of growth they've made individually and as a dojo!

Photo by A. Melton

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing the link Sensei, we hope to visit you guys in Spokane soon!!!

    -Danny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we had a chance to visit! It was very fun for us, and please come visit when you can. Our dojo is always open to visitors!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the